2/08/2018

In Any CASE ..... with Melinda and Melissa


Join us twice a month as we CASE, “Copy And Selectively Edit”, artwork created by the Art Department of Close To My Heart as showcased in the current Idea Books and our Make It From Your Heart How-To Books.
On the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, at 7 pm CST, we will direct you towards a piece of art and recreate it using the exact products or others that compliment its initial design. Tips, techniques and assembly directions will be shared in detail to help you recreate them on your own.
As you reproduce the items we have shared, post them on social media using the hashtag #ctmhinanycase. We will randomly search that hashtag and reward those who CASE our items. Winners will be announced on our blogs so be sure to follow us!

****************************************

In Any Case with .......... Melinda


and Melissa

This week I am recreating (and sharing all of the details) for the "dear friend" card found on page 18 of the brand new, just released Seasonal Expressions 1 Idea Book. Don't have a copy of our new catalog? You will receive one free with your first order placed on my website or you can see it here online, or let me know you want one and I will be happy to drop one in the mail to you.

After you check out my sweet card, head on over to my Partner in CASEing, Melissa Robinson, and check out how to make her exquisite Sending you Prayers card. Here is my version of the dear friend card.




I just returned from the Close to My Heart Incentive Tour to Thailand and boy, was I ever happy that I chose this very simple card to make for this episode of In Any Case .......

  • Attach a 4.25" gray and white diagonal patterned zip strip 1" from the bottom of the card.  Adhere a 4.25" x 2" piece of black and white fern patterned paper from the Chelsea Gardens paper pack directly above the zip strip
  • I wanted the ferns to be gray so I mixed the dark gray and white from our Watercolor Paints (Z3132) and painted them lightly. I then painted the flowers with the light blue, the smaller butterfly turquoise blue, and the larger butterfly light pink.  No mixing needed!
Tip:  To watercolor, be sure and have a paper towel handy to blot excess water from your brush after you have loaded it with paint. This prevents your painted piece from warping excessively.  I paint the darkest part of my image first and then clean out my brush.  I then get a little water (blotting first) and blend the edge of my watercolor to the edge of the image.  This picks up a little color from the darkest part and leaves a light wash look on the edges of my stamped images.  I can then go back later and add a little more paint to the darkest parts where I want to add shading.

One thing I like about watercoloring is that I can always take a damp brush to smooth out my uneven painting.
  • Cut one of the ferns into two pieces (refer to photo) and place the fern and flowers and shown onto the 3" x 4" piece of  White Daisy Cardstock (1385)Don't adhere the pieces yet - this is only for placement of the sentiment. Stamp the sentiment onto the White Daisy piece using the Archival Black Ink (refer to photo) and then mat the White Daisy cardstock with a 3.25" x 4.25" of Charcoal Cardstock (X5953).
Tip:  The dear friend sentiment is one stamp on one line.  So how do you stamp it on two lines?  Use washi tape to cover the friend, ink up the dear, remove the washi tape and stamp.  Then clean your stamp well, cover up the dear with washi tape, ink up friend, remove the washi tape, and complete stamping.
Tip: Wipe the shimmer brush onto a scrap piece of paper to remove excess shimmer and then careful brush over the watercolored flowers and butterflies.  Since the shimmer brush is liquid, it will move the watercolor paint a bit.
The card diagram is coming soon.

Be sure to visit Melissa's Blog to see what she has CASEd. Tune in again, on February 22nd, for the next episode and be sure to CASE one/all of the artwork we highlight and tag it  #ctmhinanycase on social media. We'll come looking for you and you may be a prize winner! 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post!